Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bunny Sunday: Follow the White Rabbit


When I went home for that job interview a couple weeks ago, Mia was still on her Wonderland kick. She was even talking in her sleep/having a nightmare that "Cayla's in Wonderland and I'm not allowed in!" Haha, she's one creative kid. So we of course drew lots of pictures together. Here's one in which she asked me to draw Alice in the scene where she is in the white rabbit's house, eats a cookie, and grows into a "monster." Mia added the white rabbit (near her knee) and asked me to sign it (by her elbow) after she signed it herself (at the top...see the big "m"?). I thought it was adorable. Sorry for it not being the prettiest drawing, but when you have a 3 year old with an overactive imagination, you'll have lots to draw in a short amount of time. So anyway, just for Mia, I decided today's Bunny Sunday would be about my favorite bunny of them all: the White Rabbit from Wonderland.










You know, one of the things I want to collect is different versions of the Alice stories. Just because the story is so surreal and therefore the illustrator is in complete control of how we see this place called Wonderland. I think about that every now and then...would we still picture Alice in that blue frock if Disney had made his movie when it was originally scheduled before World War II, with styling by David Hall? It would be very different from the quirky style of Mary Blair, that's for sure.

No comments: